Shipping is the most efficient means of cargo transportation. However, in absolute terms, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from global shipping are significant and are rising due to the increase in global trading of goods. Greenhouse gases – carbon dioxide (CO2) methane (CH4) – trap the infrared radiation released by the earth’s surface and keep the planet warmer at a temperature of 33°C (91°F). The increase in CO2 from human-induced activities is widely accepted to increase the earth’s temperature. CH4 has approximately 21 times the global warming potential of CO2.
Capital-Executive’s strategic objective is to preserve its industry-leading position on climate change by combining energy efficiency improvements in current operations with investments in research and technology to reduce the carbon footprint of new vessels.
Energy efficiency measures onboard and ashore
We apply a series of technical and operational improvements both onboard our vessels and at shore, to improve our energy performance and reduce our environmental footprint.
- Optimal Voyage Planning & Weather Routing
- Monitoring of main engine & diesel generator Performance
- Monitoring of speed & daily fuel consumption
- Speed reduction / slow steaming
- Operation & Maintenance of all Machinery as per Makers’ Recommendations
- Software implementation for performance improvement
- Trim Optimization
- Propeller Polishing
- Installation of scrubbers & ballast water systems
- Air-sealed vessels modification for prevention of oil spills
- Monitoring & hull cleaning diagnosis
- Use of Fuel Additives
- Monitoring of Electric Loads
- Participation in R&D programs for alternative fuels (ammonia)
- Use of energy saving devices that enhance propulsion efficiency.
- Use of new technology led lighting systems.
- Use of VDF for sea water pumps and engine room fans.
- High efficiency coatings.
- R&D projects Biofuels, LNG-as-fuel.
- Use of SCR to reduce NOx.
- Implementing IHM maintenance procedures.
- Replacement of conventional bulbs with corresponding LED bulbs
- Use of energy efficient equipment
- Installation of photocells and motion sensors in all facilities
- Use of recyclable materials
- Installation of Electric Vehicle charging stations
- Recycling of office supplies (e.g. paper, batteries)